Both hardwood and laminate floors are very popular with Gilbert homeowners, but if you want yours to last, it’s important to maintain them! Without the proper maintenance, hardwood and laminate surfaces can become dull and more prone to damage. A good care strategy requires a combination of consistent cleaning and periodic maintenance. Follow these steps from Floor Coverings International Chandler-Gilbert to ensure your floors stay beautiful for years to come!
1. Prevent Scratches
Unlike tile or carpet, hardwood and laminate can be prone to scratches. Here are a couple ways to keep your wood floors scratch-free for as long as possible:
- Use furniture pads so you won’t damage your floors when rearranging.
- Polish your floors every 2-3 months to keep the top seal strong.
2. Prevent Water Damage
Water can easily warp your hardwood or laminate floors. Here’s how to prevent moisture damage from occurring:
- Wipe up spills right way to prevent standing water damage and stains.
- Never clean your floors with water or vinegar.
- Never steam mop your hardwood floors.
- Always wipe your floors dry when you’re finished with spot cleaning.
- Don’t install hardwood or laminate floors in areas that are prone to water damage, like basements and bathrooms.
3. Clean & Maintain Your Floors Properly
Keep your floors clear of dust and debris, and they’ll stay beautiful for a long time!
- Dust your hardwoods daily with a microfiber cloth. This will remove particles that can cause scratches.
- Vacuum your floors every week with the brush attachment for some deep cleaning.
- Mop with a special hardwood cleaning solution once a month.
- Refinish your hardwood floors every 3-5 years. (If your floor has some serious scratches, you may need to sand it down and then refinish it.)
If it’s time to refinish or replace your floors, give us a call! Floor Coverings International Chandler-Gilbert is here for all your flooring needs in Chandler, Gilbert, Ahwatukee, Tempe, Mesa, Maricopa.
Photo © Stokkete